Sunday, August 5, 2012

Blackberries and Raised Beds

To view the latest from Ridge Berry Farm visit our new blog and site!

This week was quite busy at the farm. Basically we're picking blackberries every two days. It seems that these have become a hit at the city markets and we just can't pick them fast enough.


The raised beds have also progressed quite well. We've now planted three, including an old bed in the back of the barn. I did not think we could grow much so late in the season, but apparently we may still have time for carrots, beets, lettuce and spinach. The nursery also gave us a head start on some tomatoes, celery, parsley and late strawberries.




We may yet partially feed ourselves...that is if we don't feed the wildlife first. We've discovered that the farm is well inhabited by cotton tail rabbits!


In addition to rabbits, we've also discovered a beaver that is making it's home in our back pond and we've had the chance to see hummingbirds in our backyard. What was most eerie though were the cries of the coyotes this week. A pack was very close to the house one night presumably hunting some poor creature. The sounds they made kept everyone awake.

Our old house would not have character if it also did not have bats. We now see them flying every evening. We had some suspicions since droppings were on our porch. I think however we are actually thankful for them....we have no mosquitoes! (Apparently these things eat 10 times their weight in insects every night).

I know a lot of "guys" simply want a farm in order to get a tractor (I must say this is not the case for me). Tristan however was thrilled when we purchased our first full blown tractor, an ancient (late 60's) Massey Ferguson 135. I'm told that the 3 cylinder Perkins diesel engine still has quite a few years to it....we'll see.


I think on every blog, the house and the barn will need a mention since I expect they will form as much a part of our adventure as the farming. This week, we really started to understand the original lay-out of the homestead. We've decided to try to replicate it as much as possible. It does pose some interesting features not least of which are the front windows, perhaps some of the first large panel glass made in Canada (you can still see the waves and bubbles in the glass).

I mention these because this week the girls were seriously scared. With the hot weather we have been trying to open them with really no luck (they seem painted shut). However, one of them actually flew open ie. raised itself while the girls were in the room.

I'm not much for ghost stories so as an engineer I had to figure this one out. I am really not sure what happened but I suspect the very hot weather must have expanded the frame. And, since this window is one of a few still on poulies (to which I think are attached weights)....it was free it to raise itself (? I think). Problem is....I can't shut it now.



Well, I think I'll finish this blog like we finish every day here at the farm....with one of our backyard BBQ's. Wishing all readers a good week.



No comments:

Post a Comment